For Bengali's 'mutton' is synonymous to goat meat. Goat meat is meat of the domestic goat. Goat is the most widely-consumed meat in the world. Goat can be prepared in a variety of ways, such as being stewed, curried, baked, grilled, minced, fried. Other than Mutton curry there are several other delicious preparations, one of them is Mutton chaap (or chaNp). The Bengali cuisine has a significant Mughlai influence. Use of wide range of spices like mace (Javitri), nutmeg (Jaiphal), saffron (Jafran) and marinating meat and slow cooking procedures are mere influence of Mughlai cuisine.
The name chaap comes from the word 'chop'. Chop is a small cut of meat including part of a rib. A meat chop is a cut of meat cut perpendicularly to the spine, and usually containing a rib part of a vertebra and served as an individual portion. The most common kinds of meat chops are goat or pork or lamb. The rib chops are narrower, fattier, and tastier.
Mutton chap is marinated goat ribs slow-cooked in ghee.
This recipe was given to me by Swapan Da, thanks dada for such a wonderful recipe.
- Mutton ribs: 1 kg
- Yogurt: 100gm
- Ginger paste: 3tsp
- Garlic paste: 4tsp
- Grated green papaya: 1tbsp
- Grated onion: 1tbsp
- Green Cardamom (Choto elach): 10-12
- Black Cardamom (Boro elach): 3-4
- Cloves: 7-8
- Black pepper (whole): 1tsp
- Mace (Javitri): few blades
- Nutmeg (Jaiphal): 1/4tsp
- Red chilli powder: 1tbsp
- Turmeric Powder: 1tsp
- Rose water: 1/8tsp
- Kewra essence:2-3 drops
- Salt to taste
- Ghee: 100gm
1. Clean the ribs. Dry them with a paper towel.
2. Use a meat mallet to tenderize the meat. I used my aluminium meat mallet to tenderize the meat, it reduces the cooking time as well as tenderizing the meat and making it much more tastier.
3. Make a paste of garlic, ginger, onion, papaya and yogurt.
4. Grind cardamoms, cloves, mace, nutmeg, black pepper.
5. Marinate the ribs with the paste, ground spices, red chili powder, turmeric powder, rose water, kewra essence, salt.
6. Marinate at least for 3-4 hrs.
7.Take a non stick pan. Heat the ghee. I also added a little oil along with the ghee from preventing the later from burning.
8. When the ghee is hot add the marinated ribs. Put the lid on. Cook in a low flame for 15-20mins. Check in between and turn the ribs.
9. By this time oil will separate from the spices. Keep cooking for 10 more min this time without the lid. The ribs will take a nice brown color.