A good vegetarian starter..!!!! A typical situation that usually leads to lot of head scratching for a meat-o-saur like me. I am sure, I am not the only one, we all go through this while planning for a party or when we have guests for dinner or lunch, specially when there is one or more vegetarian on the guest list.
Yes, there are plenty of options for vegetarian snacks and starters, and we usually plan for a veg starter and a non-veg one for such occasions. Yes a double task for us. So what about something that can be served to both and something that tastes like meat yet a vegetable.
Remember unripe or raw jackfruit, a popular Summer vegetable in India. Few days back I posted a curry recipe on that (click here for jackfruit curry recipe). While discussing over that curry in a food forum on Facebook, one of the member of the group, Papia Roy told us about jackfruit kebab recipe. The recipe was so good. I couldn't help myself but made some for me and my family. And it was an instant hit. I used canned raw jackfruit for this, you can use fresh raw jackfruit as well. Thanks to Papia di for such a lovely recipe.
Things needed to make Raw Jackfruit Kebab:
- Raw jackfruit: 1 cup
- Chana dal / Bengal gram: 1/2 cup
- Onion (roughly chopped): 1 tbsp
- Garlic: 1 clove
- Cinnamon: 1/4 stick
- Green cardamom: 1
- Cloves: 2
- Black peppercorn: 3-4
- Onion (finely chopped): 3 tbsp
- Garlic paste: 1 tsp
- Ginger paste: 1 tsp
- Green chilies (chopped): 1-2 tsp
- Cumin powder: 1 tsp
- Garam masala powder: 1/4 tsp
- Kasuri methi /dried fenugreek leaves: 1/2 tsp
- Sat to taste
- Oil: 2-3 tbsp
Steps of making Raw Jackfruit Kebab:
1. Soak chana dal for 2 hrs. Wash the canned jackfruit well by changing water*. In a pressure cooker put jackfruit pieces, chana dal, roughly chopped onion (1 tbsp), a clove of garlic, whole spices, add water and cook for 3 whistles. Switch off heat, wait till pressure releases.
*click here to know how to process fresh and canned jackfruit
2. Take out the whole spices. With a back of a ladle mash the boiled jackfruit and dal. You can use a food processor to coarsely ground the mixture.
3. In a pan add 1 tbsp oil, When the oil is hot add finely chopped onion. Cook till the onion becomes soft and pink. Add garlic paste and ginger paste, cook for 1-2 min. Add the jackfruit and dal paste, mix well. Add cumin powder, chopped green chilies, salt, mix well. Cook till the mixture comes together and all the excess water evaporates. Check seasoning and adjust accordingly. Add garam masala powder and kasuri methi, mix well. Switch off heat and let the mixture cool down.
4. Make flat round discs, kebab like shape with the mixture. You can make 10-12 kebabs from this. Heat oil in a flat heavy pan, shallow fry the kebabs till nicely brown on both sides. Serve hot with mint-yogurt dip.
If you like to get regular updates from me go to my Facebook page and click on the Like button. You can also follow my blog on NetworkBlogs. Thank you..!!!