I love to eat Potol(pointed gourd). Except raw, I can have it in any form fried, boiled, curried...
Generally I cook different curries(potol-posto, sorse-potol, doi-potol, potoler dalna, chingri diye potol) with potol those are common in bengali household. Today I wanted to do something different, so did little experiment with them. I choose fennel to flavor my curry. So here is my experimental mouri potol (mouri=fennel; potol=pointed gourd).
Things you need to make Mouri Potol:
Yogurt: 1/2 cup
Green chilies(chopped): 3-4
Dry red chili: 3-4
Cinnamon: 1 inch stick
Bay leaf: 1
Shah jeera(black cumin): 1/4tsp
Salt to taste
Turmeric powder: 1/4tsp
Kashmiri red chili powder: 1/2tsp
How to make Mouri Potol:
1. Make a smooth paste of fennel seed, grated ginger and chopped green chilies, keep it aside. If you dry grind the fennel first then add grated ginger and chopped green chilies, it will be easier to make a smooth paste.
2. Bit the yogurt with little water and sugar, there should be no lumps in the yogurt, keep it aside.
3. Scrap the skin of potol and peel alternately and make slits on both the ponted ends.
4. Put oil in the kadai or pan, when the oil is hot add the potol. Sprinkle salt and turmeric powder, and fry the potol.
5. Fry the potol till it takes nice brown color. Take out the potol and keep aside.
6. On that same oil add bay leaf, dry red chilies, cardamom, cinnamon stick, shah jeera. As the masalas leave a nice aroma add the fennel-ginger-green chili paste. Cook for 2min.
7. Add the beaten yogurt. Keep stirring continuously and keep the flame to medium, till the yogurt is cooked. To know the yogurt is cooked or not, if you can smell the raw yogurt then you nedd to cook longer and when the yogurt is done, you can see oil separating from the yogurt and giving a nice shine to the gravy.
8. Add kashmiri red chili powder, turmeric powder, sugar. Add the fried potol. Mix well. Add little water( I added 1/2 cup). As the gravy boils reduce the flame to medium cover the pan and cook for 10-12min. Check the seasoning, adjust accordingly.