Posto (white poppy seed) is a very popular ingredient in Bengali kitchen. It is widely used in Indian cuisine also. Bengalis have special bond with posto, be it a simple posto bata (poppy seed paste), posto bora (poppy seed cakes), alu posto(potota and poppy seed)...the list is endless. Posto is also used as thickening agent in curries, or in garnishing. Sometimes the seeds are used directly to dishes to give a crunchy texture to the dish.
Today I made some egg with poppy seed paste, Dim Posto. I learnt this dish from my friend and neighbour Ronita. The recipe is simple, but the magic of poppy paste and egg makes it a superhit everytime.
Things needed to make Dim-posto:
Hard boiled eggs: 4
White poppy seed (paste): 5-6 tbsp
Onion(thinly sliced): 1/2 cup
Green chilies: 7-8
Kalojire: 1/4 tsp
Mustard oil: 2tbsp + 1tsp extra
Red chili powder
How to make it:
1.Peel the boiled eggs and rub with a lilttle salt, red chili powder and turmeric powder.
2. Heat mustard oil in a kadai, when the oil is hot add the eggs and fry them till golden brown. Take out th eggs, prick them with toothpick and keep aside.
3. In the same oil add kalojire/kalonji, as the seeds spatter add thinly silced onions. cover and cook in medium heat for 5 min in medium heat.
4. Now add turmeric powder, red chili powder, and white poppy seed paste. Mix well.
5. Add the eggs, slitted grren chilies, salt and sugar.
6. Cook in high heat for 5-6min, if needed sprinkle some water. Stir continuosly. You can make it dry or you can add little water to make some gravy, it depends on your preference.
7. Switch off the heat. Sprinkle the extra mustard oil, serve with white rice.