Mushroom and Green Pea Cutlets
It was raining. So wanted to make something to go with a hot cup of tea and something that my daughter would like. Luckily I had a box of button mushrooms, EUREKA!! So here it is, a simple kid-friendly(even her father liked it) mushroom-green pea cutlets.
The things you need are:
- Button mushrooms: 12-14 (chopped)
- Boiled potato: 1 medium size
- Onion: 2tbsp (chopped)
- Green pea: 1/4 cup
- Olive oil
- Salt to taste
- Sugar: 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper powder: 1/4tsp
- Garlic: 1 clove (crushed)
- Cinnamon powder: 1/4tsp
- Parsley:1/4tsp (dried) [If you do not have parsley, then replace it with 1 tbsp of chopped fresh corriander leaves]
How to make the cutlets:
1. Take a non stick pan and heat some olive oil. When the oil is hot add crushed garlic. Add the chopped onions. Cook for 5min in medium heat, stir in between.
2. Add the chopped mushrooms. Cook in high heat. The mushrooms will release a lot of water. Add green peas and the mashed potato. I used frozen green peas, so I washed and thawed them before adding. If you are using fresh green peas, boil them in water for 5min, strain and add.
3. Add cinnamon powder, salt, black pepper powder, sugar and dried parsley. Mix well. The mix should be dry. Just take a little of the mix and try to make a ball, if it falls apart then it needs to be cooked longer. And if you can make a ball with it then it's just right.
4. Let the mix cool down. Shape it into cutlets or whatever shape you like.
5. In a bowl mix egg and water(1:1). Dip each cutlet into the egg then coat it with breadcrumbs. Let it stand for 5min, then again dip it in egg and coat it with breadcrumbs. Repeat this process for all the cutlets.
6.Heat oil in a pan. When the oil is hot fry the cutlets to nice golden brown color. I shallow fried the cutlets, but you can always deep fry them.
Sit beside the window, take a bite of the cutlet, sip the hot tea and watch the rain, enjoy the simple pleasure of life.