One of the most interesting thing in any North Indian restaurant is the pink pearl like onions that goes with most of the dishes, be it tandoori chicken or some hot naan with chicken tikka masala. Little sweet, vinegar soaked onions are called Sirkewala Peyaz. Sirka means vinegar and peyaz means onion. I always store a jar full of this to accompany any Indian curry or starter.
The process of making this pickled onion is very simple. You need only few ingredients, onion, salt, sugar, water and vinegar and you are ready for your pickled onion. There are many recipes that calls for just mixing the ingredients together to make the pickle(you can find that recipe in one of my favorite blog ecurry.com). But to eliminate the strong flavor of onion and vinegar I like to cook it for a little time. You can serve these pickled onion with various dishes. Other than tandoori chicken or kebabs I also enjoy them with sandwiches and burgers.
Things needed to make pickled onion:
(recipe adapted from vegkhana.com)
- Small onions: 25-30
- Salt: 2 tsp
- Sugar: 1 tbsp
- Water: 3/4 cup
- Vinegar: 1/2 cup
Steps of making pickled onion:
1. Peel the small onion. In case you don't get the small onions you can use slices of large red onions. To peel the onions cut both the ends and peel the dry layers.
2. Wash the onions and pat dry with a kitchen towel. Make sure the onions are properly dried.
3. Sprinkle salt on the onions and rub salt on the onion to coat them well.
4. In a saucepan, take water, sugar, boil the water. As the water rolls to boil switch off heat and add vinegar. I used white vinegar. Mix well. Add the onion to the water-vinegar mix, cover and let it come down to room temperature. Some like to add green chilies, peppercorns, bay leaves, julienned ginger to this. But I prefer it to be just like in the restaurants, only onions.
5. Take a clean sterilized glass jar. Transfer the onions to the jar. Pour the vinegar mix to cover all the onions. Close the jar and store in refrigerator. Serve after 24 hrs. This will keep good for a month in the refrigerator. If you are using sliced large red onion, the procedure will be same. Wash and pat dry before you slice the large onion, then follow the same procedure as this.
Sirkewale Peyaz / Pickled Onion
Small onions: 25-30
Salt: 2 teaspoon
Sugar: 1 tablespoon
Water: 3/4 cup
White vinegar: 1/2 cup
1.Peel onions. Wash and pat dry.
2. Rub salt to the onions.
3. Mix sugar and water in a saucepan, let boil, as the water rolls to boil switch off heat. Add vinegar. Add onions. Cover and bring to room temperature. Transfer to a clean sterilized jar, cover and store in refrigerator.
4. Serve after 24 hrs.
If you like to get regular updates from me go to my Facebook page and click on the Like button. You can also follow my blog on NetworkBlogs. Thank you..!!!