Summer break and kids.....are quite alarming to most of the parents. One can suggest about summer camp, science camp etc, but everything has a price tag attached to it. Moreover I do want my kid to enjoy the fun of the break, than the regular routine life. Just like we used to do as kids. So a long 90 days of break and your active agile kid, not a very easy task. But to be very frank I enjoy it, being with my kid all the time, playing with her, doing some crafts, making some jewelry are like revisiting my own childhood. Yes, I think that's the key to enjoy with your kid, be a kid yourself.
Kids grow up fast, so treasure every single moment you are with him or her. There will be a time soon when they will grow up and will be busy in their own world. All these ever-demanding undivided attention will be gone. That's part of our life, so enjoy this moment, enjoy it now.
So when my daughter wanted to bake a cake I didn't say no. Though I was not very keen switching on the oven in this hot sweltering summer, but again did not want to miss the fun of baking a cake with my kiddo. And I must admit, she was great at folding the cake batter, gentle and with all the care she did it.
It was a simple fruit and nut cake as she wanted it to be. I added chopped dried fruits, cherries and cranberries to the cake batter along with some chopped pistachio, walnuts and almonds.
To bring a different flavor I added rum flavor to it. As I was making it for my kid, I did not use any alcohol, but added imitation rum flavor. You can use either the imitation flavor or 2-3 tbsp dark rum to flavor your cake. I used the bundt cake pan to make the fun ring shape cake, you can use the regular round cake pan as well. A cake is always a great snack, both for the kids and the grown ups, so gear up and bake a cake with your little one and have fun.
Things needed to make the cake:
(this will make a 9n3/4 inch bundt cake)
- Flour: 1 and 3/4 cup
- Eggs: 4
- Sugar: 1 and 1/2 cup
- Unsalted butter: 1 stick
- Milk: 1/4 cup
- Vanilla essence: 1/2 tsp
- Imitation rum flavor: 1 tsp
- Dry fruits and nuts of your choice
- Baking powder: 1 tsp
- Salt: 1 tsp
- Extra butter to grease
- Extra flour to dust
Steps of making the cake:
1. Pre-heat oven at 350 F. Grease the cake pan, dust with flour, keep aside.
2. Cream the butter and sugar with a hand blender. I used unsalted butter. If you are using the salted variety, then do not add extra salt.
3. Add eggs one by one to the creamed butter-sugar mix. After adding each egg, mix with hand blender. Add vanilla essence and imitation rum flavor, mix.
4. Sift flour, salt and baking powder.
5. Add 1/3 of the flour-mix and gently fold in to the batter. Add half of the milk, mix with a spatula. Repeat till you are done with all the flour and milk.
6. Chop the nuts and dry fruits. I added almond, pistachio, walnut, cherry and cranberry. Fold the chopped dry fruits and nuts to the batter.
7. Pour batter into the prepared pan, bake on the middle rack for 35 min. Check with a toothpick, cool down and enjoy with your family and friends.
If you like to get regular updates from me go to my Facebook page and click on the Like button. You can also follow my blog on NetworkBlogs. Thank you..!!!