Jalapeno(pronounced as halapeno) is a Mexican chili. It's green in color, becomes red when ripe. Mature jalapenos are super-hot. One can use it as pickle, or as topping for pizza, over nachos, with fajita, or grill and have it as a side, options are endless. I like to have them in a very desi-way. I stuff the jalapenos with boiled mashed potato and dip them in gram flour batter and fry them. I serve these potato-stuffed jalapeno with steamed rice and dal. You can use any stuffing of your choice. Be it cheese or chicken it taste equally good.
Things needed to make Stuffed Jalapeno:
- Jalapeno: 5-6
- Potato: 1 large
- Roasted Cumin powder: 1 tsp
- Garam masala powder: 1 tsp
- Chat masala: 1/2 tsp
- Gram flour/Besan: 1 cup
- Rice flour: 2 tbsp
- Baking powder: 1 tsp
- Ginger (grated): 1 tbsp
- Garlic paste: 1/4 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Oil for deep frying
How to make Stuffed Jalapeno:
1. Wash and peel the potato. Cut potato into quarters and cook till soft. I used a pressure cooker to save time.
2. Let the potatoes cool down. Mash the potato and add roasted cumin powder, garam masala powder, chat masala, salt to the mashed potato, mix well.
3. As the potato is being ready, wash the jalapeno and pat dry with kitchen towel. Make a vertical slit on one side and take out the seeds with the help of a spoon. Either you can retain the stalk of the jalapeno or cut it off, as per your choice.
4. Sprinkle salt on the jalapenos and let it stand for 15-20 min. It will release some water discard that. Stuff the jalapenos with the potato.
5. In a bowl take gram flour (besan), rice flour, juice from the grated ginger, garlic paste, salt and make a paste by adding water. Make a smooth paste, without any lumps. If like you can add some kalonji(black seeds) in the batter, too. The thickness of the batter should be like the picture below.
6. In a deep pan or kadai heat enough oil to deep fry the jalapenos. When the oil is hot reduce the temperature, dip the stuffed jalapenos in the batter and fry till evenly golden brown. Keep the temperature to medium to medium high.
If you like to get regular updates from me go to my Facebook page and click on the Like button. You can also follow my blog on NetworkBlogs. Thank you..!!!