Panna cotta literally means cooked cream in Italian. It is a dessert made from milk, cream, sugar and gelatin. The gelatin gives it a pudding or custard like texture.
Panna cotta is one of tastiest and easiest dessert I have come across. It requires very few ingredients and can be prepared quickly. The only time it takes is, inside the refrigerator while it is setting.
Panna cotta can be flavored in various ways and can also be served in different ways, with fruits or caramel sauce or chocolate sauce or any fruit syrup. Moreover It tastes equally good as it is, without any fruits or anything. just spoon up your silky smooth panna cotta and enjoy the creamy indulgence. Today, I made vanilla flavored panna cotta, you can make a strawberry panna cotta by adding strawberry extract to the mix, or chocolate panna cotta or a caramel panna cotta or coconut....the options are endless.
Things needed to make Vanilla Panna cotta:
- Whole milk: 1 cup (250 ml)
- Full cream: 1 cup (250 ml)
- Unflavored Gelatin: 1 envelope
- Sugar (granulated): 1/2 cup
- Pure vanilla extract: 2 teaspoons
How to make Vanilla Panna cotta:1. For making Panna cotta you will need unflavored gelatin. It is easily available in any grocery store. I used Knox unflavored gelatin. Take 1/4 cup cold water and sprinkle one sachet of unflavored gelatin on the water. Cover and wait for 5 min.
2. The gelatin will dissolve in water and will look like jelly.
|The gelatin will look like this after dissolved in water|
3. In a heavy bottom pan take the whole milk and let it boil, keep stirring in between so it does not stick to the bottom. Keep the heat to low-medium and add the heavy cream. Mix well. Add sugar and cook for 5 min, keep stirring continuously. Add the vanilla extract. Use pure vanilla extract for better flavor. We can use any other flavor of your choice.
|Make sure the gelatin is dissolved completely|
4. Switch off the heat. Add the dissolved gelatin to the hot milk-cream mixture. Mix well, so the gelatin dissolves completely.
5. Make sure the gelatin is dissolved completely. Pour the mixture into individual ramekins or in a bowl, as you like.
6. Cover the ramekins with cling film and keep them inside the refrigerator for 6-8 hrs.
7. It will be set by this time. Take out and serve cold. You can serve it in the ramekins, or you can take out the panna cotta from the ramekins and serve with fruits or chocolate. To take it out from the ramekins, run a knife around the panna cotta. Put the the ramekins into a hot water bath for 10 sec.
Cover the ramekins with the serving plate turn it upside down, tap the back of the ramekins and the panna cotta will come out on the plate.
You can serve it with strawberry syrup and some fruits.
Or serve with some chocolate and dry fruits.
If you like to get regular updates from me go to my Facebook page and click on the Like button. You can also follow my blog on NetworkBlogs. Thank you..!!!