Chicken curry is the most frequently cooked dish in my kitchen. Mostly I follow the recipe I have learnt from my mom. Sometimes I try my hand on restaurant style dishes. But last Sunday I was not in a mood to follow any recipes, that's the reason I call it a 'no recipe' chicken curry. I just kept on cooking from my mind. I slow cooked the chicken and did not add any extra water. I let the chicken cook in it's own water and at the end added a handful of fresh coriander to give the dish a special touch. The end result was a scrumptious bowl of chicken curry, loved by all in my family. So before I forget what I put in that curry let me share it with you all.
Things needed to make the chicken curry:
- Chicken on bones ( a whole chicken cut into 12-14 pieces)
- Onion (very thinly sliced): 2 cups
- Garlic: 7-8 cloves
- Tomato: 1 (large)
- Ginger (grated): 2 tbsp
- Green chili: 2-3
- Green cardamom: 2-3
- Cinnamon: 1 stick
- Cloves: 4-5
- Shah jeera or Black Cumin: 1 tsp
- Black peppercorns: 10-12
- Turmeric powder: 1 tsp
- Kashmiri red chili powder: 1tsp
- Cumin powder: 2tsp
- Garam masala powder: 1tsp
- Coriander leaves: 1/2 cup
- Salt to taste
- Sugar: 1 tsp
- Potato: cubed and fried (optional)
- Mustard oil or olive oil to cook
Steps of making the chicken curry:
1. Clean and wash the chicken pieces.
2. Make a paste of garlic, ginger, tomato and green chili, keep aside.
3. In a large heavy bottom pan or kadhai heat 3 table spoons of oil. I used mustard oil, that gives a different taste to the dish. Olive oil can also be used. When the oil is hot add the sugar and let it caramelize. This will give the curry a nice color.
4. Add the whole spices, as the cloves splutter add thinly sliced onion. Fry the onion till brown.
5. Add the chicken pieces, cook the chicken with the onion over high heat for 7-8 min. Keep turning the chicken pieces.
6. Reduce heat add the ginger-garlic-tomato paste. Cook over medium heat for 3-4 min.
7. Add turmeric powder, cumin powder, kashmiri red chili powder, salt, mix well. Cover and cook over low medium heat for 40-45 min. Keep stirring in between. The chicken will cook in it's own water. I did not add any extra water. Check the salt, adjust accordingly. If you like your curry to be spicy add stilted green chilies. Add garam masala powder and chopped fresh coriander. Serve hot with rice or roti.
Note: If you want to add potato to this curry, peel and cube the potato and fry them. Add the fried potato pieces 10 min before the curry is done.
If you like to get regular updates from me go to my Facebook page and click on the Like button. You can also follow my blog on NetworkBlogs. Thank you..!!!