Quick, easy, delicious.... Fried Rice is a life savior for me. Whether I'm not in a mood to cook something elaborate or preparing a special dinner for my family, in several occasions I end up with this simple fried rice. Add loads of veggies and meat, it is a dish in itself. Or keep it simple and serve with chilli chicken, sweet and sour chicken or chilli fish. It is versatile. Vegetarian or non-veg, it tastes good either way. And it is a great way to end up your leftover rice.
I use cooked jasmine rice to make fried rice. If you do not get jasmine rice, use good quality long grain rice. It is better if you are using cooked rice made last night or cooked at least 6-8 hrs before preparing the fried rice. To know to how to cook jasmine rice click here.
Things needed to make Fried Rice:
- Cooked jasmine rice: 4 cups
- Carrot: 1/4 cup
- Green pea: 1/4 cup
- Bell peppers: 1/4 cup
- Onion: 3 tbsp
- Garlic: 1 tsp
- Spring onion (the green part): a handful
- Egg: 2
- Soy sauce: 2-3 tbsp
- Sesame oil: 2 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Sugar: 1 tsp
- Black pepper powder for seasoning
- Oil to cook
Steps of making Fried Rice:
1. In a wok heat 2-3 table spoons of oil. When the oil is hot add finely chopped garlic, cook for 1 min over high heat, do not burn. Add chopped onions, cook till transparent. Add carrots and cook till tender. Add other vegetables, salt, sugar and cook for 3-4 min. Do not overcook the vegetables, keep them a bit crunchy. You can use any vegetables of your choice.
2. Push aside the vegetables on a side of the wok. Lightly beat the eggs with a pinch of salt. Add a teaspoon of oil and when the oil is hot, add the beaten eggs. As the egg sets a bit, mix it with all the vegetables. Cook for 2 min.
3. Add cooked rice, soy sauce, salt, black pepper, sesame oil and mix well. Break the lumps of cooked jasmine rice before adding. Cook for 3-4 min over high heat, keep tossing the rice. If you are using chicken or other meat or seafood, add the pre-cooked meat or seafood along with the rice(see note below). Take care not to burn the rice, adjust the heat accordingly.
4. Sprinkle chopped spring onion and serve immediately.
NOTE: To add chicken, cut chicken breasts into thin strips, fry the chicken strips with a little salt and black pepper powder. Keep aside. Add it along with the rice. Same way you can add shrimp, fry the shrimps and keep aside, add along with the rice.
Check these recipe to go with the fried rice:
If you like to get regular updates from me go to my Facebook page and click on the Like button. You can also follow my blog on NetworkBlogs. Thank you..!!!