I was not in a mood for cooking anything elaborate, but again I'm not a dal-chawal person, so made my favorite Egg Curry, the Bengali way. It is quick, easy and yummy. We call it Dim Kosha in Bengali. Hard boiled eggs in an onion and tomato based thick gravy with loads of garlic and chilies. I am always a big fan of any egg dishes, boiled, poached, fried, omelet, curries...all are welcome.
This egg curry needs only a few basic ingredients, but first thing first, to make this curry you need to make hard boiled eggs. Now what's the big deal about that? Here comes a confession, there was a time when, everytime I used to make hard boiled eggs they used to crack. And even if they didn't crack, I found it difficult to peel them smoothly. With time I found few simple techniques that make the egg job much easier. The most common reason why eggs crack is temperature, we store eggs in refrigerator and if you put the cold eggs in hot water they will definitely crack. So take a deep pan filled with cold water, dip the uncooked eggs in the pan and heat over low heat. After 5-6 min, increase the heat to medium-high and let it boil, keep it boiling for 6-8 min. Remove from heat, transfer the eggs into cold water. Crack the eggs and peel. I'm sure you will be thrilled to get perfectly done eggs without any mess. Make sure you are using good quality fresh eggs. Store eggs in the egg carton or the egg counter on the fridge with the pointed end down.
So here is the spicy egg curry (dim kosha)I made for my lunch today.
Things needed to make Egg curry:
- Hard boiled eggs: 6
- Onion: 3 cups
- Garlic: 3 tbsp
- Tomato: 2
- Cumin powder: 2 tsp
- Turmeric powder: 2 tsp
- Red chili powder: 2 tbsp
- Kashmiri red chili powder: 1 tsp
- Green chilies: 3-4
- Salt to taste
- Sugar: 1 tsp
- Oil to cook
Steps of making Egg curry:
- Boil eggs, peel them, smear with little salt and turmeric powder, keep aside. I like to prick the boiled eggs with a toothpick or fork, to ensure the eggs get all the flavors from the curry.
- In a deep pan or kadhai heat a tablespoon of oil, preferably mustard oil. When the oil is hot fry the boiled eggs over high heat till the surface takes a nice brown color. Take out and keep aside.
- In the same pan, add more oil (3 tablespoon), when the oil is hot fry the sliced onion to red. Make sure the onions are very thinly sliced.
- As the onion takes a red color add the garlic. I like my garlic to be crushed than paste and I use my garlic crusher for this. You can use garlic paste or grated garlic whichever suits you. Mix the garlic and cook for 2-3 min.
- Add chopped tomatoes. Discard all the seeds from the tomatoes and chop them fine. Add a pinch of salt, mix well, cover and cook for 5-6 min or till tomatoes are done.
- Add turmeric powder, cumin powder, red chili powder, kashmiri red chili powder and mix well. Cover and cook over low heat till oil separates.
- Add 1/4 cup of hot water, salt and sugar as per taste and the eggs, mix well. Cover and cook for 4-5 min. Add green chilies. Serve hot with steamed rice or paratha or bread.
If you like to get regular updates from me go to my Facebook page and click on the Like button. You can also follow my blog on NetworkBlogs. Thank you..!!!